After you’ve selected your professional mover it’s time to get your belongings and family ready for the move! Use these moving tips to get you on your way!
- Stock up on all the supplies you’ll need like moving boxes, bubble wrap, newspapers, packing foam, tape, totes and a marker. If you’re packing yourself having enough supplies on hand will let you finish packing quicker and smoother.
- Start packing early so you don’t stress about it at the last minute. Pack the items you don’t use often first.
- If you’re having the packing done for you separate the valuables and the irreplaceable items. An irreplaceable can be important paperwork or documents, jewelry, family heirlooms, or photos. You may feel more comfortable moving these cherished items yourself.
- Mark all of the boxes and label whether they are fragile so extra care can be given during the moving process. This is a great time to de-clutter and throw away or donate items you have no use for. This will make your move lighter and quicker, saving you time and money.
- Make a list of all the utilities and the dates you’ll need them to be turned off.
- Make a similar list for any important companies you need to update your change of address with. Don’t forget to also file your change of address with the Post Office.
- The professional mover will load your packed valuables and transport them to your new location.
- The professional mover will also unload your items at your new location. It is best to let them unload because some shifting may have occurred during transport. They are highly trained on proper loading and unloading procedures.
- Your professional mover may unpack your items as well but it you selected to do it yourself start with the items that you use most and if you have a lot leave the other boxes for when you’re well rested.